Surrounded by Read more [...]
A visit to the place where our history is decided, where the Institutions decide the fate of our country.
In the city of Rome, during its thousand-year old history, numerous buildings have been built that still host seats of institutions to this day. With this brief itinerary you can see the most important ones.
The most representative of them all, with which we begin our tour, is the “Palazzo del Quirinale”. Built initially as a papal summer residence, it was later transformed into the seat of the kings of Italy after the year 1871 and eventually, it became the seat of the President of the Republic. It is situated on the top of the hill of the same name. For those who enjoy nature, the gardens of the Palazzo are very interesting to see. Open to the public only on the 2nd of June for the celebration of the Republic, they are spaces of great naturalistic importance because of some rare species of trees that are present such as the very rare trithrinacs (palms) from Brazil. We must underline that the Palazzo del Quirinale has started an important energy saving policy through the use of energy efficient lamps within the entire structure and the external façade.
Going down Via delle Dataria and Via delle Muratte we arrive on Via del Corso that we follow until we reach Palazzo Chigi, which is today the seat of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers. The history of “Palazzo Chigi” began in 1758 when Aldobrandini bought a complex of small houses from various families, which were rebuilt after being demolished. The last and final modernizations were completed after the Palazzo allo Stato (1916) became the first seat of the Minister of the Colonies, later known as the Foreign Minister. Palazzo Chigi is the seat of the Italian government since 1961.
From here we cross Piazza Colonna and reach the seventeenth-century Palazzo di Montecitorio , today the seat of the Chamber of Deputies, originally designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini under Pope Innocenzo X and finished by architect Carlo Fontana who added the bell tower which is in the shape of a sail boat . In 600, Montecitorio became the seat of Curia Apostolica (papal law courts) Hereafter the Romans would come here every Saturday because lottery numbers were announced from the balcony in front of the square.
Crossing the square, we walk through via della Guglia to reach via delle Colonnelle and then arrive at Corso del Rinascimento. From there, we turn left and reach Palazzo Madama. The history of the current Senate of the Republic starts at the end of 1440, under Pope Sisto IV. The building was completed in 1505 by cardinal Giovanni de Medici, the son of Lorenzo il Magnifico and the man who later became Pope Leone X and made it the Roman seat of the influential family and one of the centers of humanistic culture
Caterina de Medici, the future queen of France and Margherita D’Austria both lived here for a long period of time , it was right then that the Palazzo got the name it still has today. Later, it was owned by the Papal State and after 1870 by the Italian Government. To reduce the high level of energy consumption of this imposing building, systems that produce renewable energy were created. For example, a 200kw photovoltaic plant was installed on the roof of the State archives. The use of this plant was important not only economically but also for the environment by avoiding the use of almost 100,000 kilograms of CO2 per year.